Create an account

Behind the Mask (Status: Completed)

Behind the Mask

Rating: The story is rated PG-13 for minor cursing, terrorist themes, supernatural activities and disturbing images.

Summary: What happens if a person had their memories erased through undergoing a heavy surgery? Over time they'll get their memories back, not the ones they'd probably aren't used to. The type of memories that had been forgotten until now. However, what happens if that person is: Negawing? Told through Negawing's point of view.

Note: This is the second story that I made was told through a villain's point of view, the other one was "Final Return" and had featured Ghost Cat as the main character. Interestingly Unknown appears in that story as well with a much lesser role, this story also ignores the fact that he is dead since he is clearly alive and well.

Chapter One: Negawing

A horrible wheezing sound had surrounded me.

“How did the operation go? I thought you said it was a success.” Growled a smooth, dangerous voice.

Huh…? Voices were all around.

“It was, sir. It was a total success, he is very much alive.” A nervous voice spoke rather calmly.

“Well then if he’s fine then why isn’t he waking up?” The monotone voice asked.

That voice…I know it from somewhere.

“Sir ,although the operation was successful, he may still need time to recover from the burns of the explosion, we are fortunate we’d found him in one piece at the wreckage. His body needs time to sort itself out.”

“Well, how much time?”

“I really couldn’t say…it would take days, weeks, perhaps even months, or considering who my patient is he’ll probably wake within a few short hours.”

There was a heavy sigh in the monotone voice’s tone. “Surely you can guess.”

“Based on Negawing’s abilities and strength, he’ll probably come around in a day or two.”

Negawing…? Whose Negawing? I’d thought to myself.

“That long?” A hint of annoyance can be heard in the smooth voice.

“Well, he needs the time to recover from his injuries."

Are they talking about me…?

“Alright, then, fine. Get out of my sight, I’ll stay and wait for awhile.”

“Of course, Unknown.”

Unknown…? That must’ve been the person with the smooth voice that had been talking. But…where am I? I want…to get out. Everything is pitch black. I can’t see! Where am I? Let me out! Let me out!

As I’d struggled more and more to escape the darkness that had imprisoned me, I’d noticed that the darkness had been receding as my vision was filled with bright whiteness that had nearly blinded me as I fell with a thud into a sitting position. Once the brightness of the light had died down I’d noticed the room I was in for the first time, was…a hospital room. The room was mostly white, except for the furniture.

I’d looked back at the cot I had been realized I was lying in moments before, I’d saw there had been a mask connected to a tube that was attached to a hulking gray and silver monolith that gleamed in the hospital’s light. I’d noticed that the horrible sounds I’d heard from before were only from that breathing machine. There were also two IVBs that had been abandoned; their bags were filled with a deep crimson color. I’d also that there were various sensors that were plugged to my body. Seeing the sticky pads with wires leading back to various machines, I felt their presence among my feathers for the first time. They itched. I’d wanted to scratch, especially the little sensor that was on my right arm. It was pulling my feathers strangely, but then a voice had caught my attention.

“You never cease to amaze me, boy,” The voice I recognized spoke, amusement was laced into its tone. I looked, and I saw a figure, clad entirely of dark armor standing in front of me with his arms folded in front of his chest. “Here I am wondering I’ll be waiting days for your recovery, and before I know it you had recovered rapidly before I’d even left this room.” The man smiled. “Do you feel any better?”

“What do you mean by that…?” I started to feel confused. I was surprised that my voice was that of a deep, low growl. It didn't sounded like me at all...

“Yes,” the man nodded. “You had been in a fight and were caught in a violent explosion. Your body was nearly covered head to toe with first-degree burns, and the doctors had spent nearly a whole week on performing the operation that had saved your life.” He explained, nodding his head significantly towards my arm. I looked at my right arm and noticed it was entirely encased in a bandaged.

“Look at yourself in the mirror,” he gestured his head towards a full-length mirror which I followed its direction. I saw a short mallard inside it. It was my reflection. I was almost completely covered with bandages, except for my right side of my face, and my left arm. I had wore a black jacket with red buttons, a yellow turtleneck sweater underneath and a black cape with crimson lining.

I had noticed there was a red cloth of some sorts that had covered my eyes. I blinked, reached over and removed the cloth, wondering why that had been there in the first place and why I was wearing this costume. But as I looked at my eyes… for some reason, I felt rather intimidated. It was as if someone, whose soul is tainted with pure evil was staring through the mirror to face me.

“What do you think?” the man asked.

“About what?” I replied, still staring at the figure in the mirror.

“What do you mean? You look completely different!”

“What’s different about me?” I asked.

“Huh?” He looked at me as if I’d grew a second head, I’d turned to face him. “Negawing…are you alright?” he asked with concern.

“Am I Negawing…?” I said, but for some reason the name didn’t sound familiar. Instead the name Dustin Mallard had popped in the back of my mind. “That can’t be right," I answered him, "my name is Dustin...Dustin Mallard, not Negawing.”

“Eh?” He gave me a funny look. “What sort of nonsense is that? Is this some sort of joke?” He then growled, all traces of amusement were now gone from his face, replaced by annoyance. "You better not be punking me..."

“I’m not laughing,” I replied, frowning deeply at the accusation. “Who the blazes are you anyway?”

“Why, you—I am Unknown, your employer!” He snapped. “How can you forget about the one who’s grooming you to take my place as the leader of my criminal empire? What on earth has happened to you?”

“I don’t know…” I looked at the ground, feeling more confused by the second. “Where am I?”

“You’re at my headquarters, Negawing, you’ve been here at least a hundred times before!” Unknown insisted, sounding frustrated. He looked at me. “My god…what happened to you in that fight against your double?”

“I...don't know.” I said, trying to remain calm as possible. "I don't even know what you mean by my ‘double’?”

“This is ridiculous –“ Unknown growled, losing his patience with me. "Wait here!" he stormed out.

I looked back at my reflection. That thing... I couldn't believe it was me. It didn't feel like me… I moved closer to the mirror. I stared into the creature's eyes. I'm afraid. Afraid of the thing looking back at me... Why? It's me. I can't hurt myself. But the malicious glint in the creature’s eyes told me otherwise for some reason its acting as if its loathing me… as if it wants to jump out of that mirror and strangle me.

But it's not me. That's the problem. None of this is happening, this had to be a dream. I am not a wanted criminal, I can’t be. I don’t work for the criminal underworld, do I? I can’t… remember anything! Who, am I? I need to know!

I heard that man shouting. I listened to what he was saying. He was angry. It terrified me.

"Successful? You call that successful? Negawing has lost his memory!”

“My memory…?" I mumbled underneath my breath. Yes… that was right. It's all gone. But… it feels like… my memory wasn't all there in the first place. It feels like… there are thing I'd forgotten before now. Important things…

"Sir, I assure you, these effects will only be temporary. We did not expect this to happen therefore it must be a –"

"What do you mean? You mean you didn't check for side effects before performing the operation?"

"Sir, I have done this many times before, and not once have I come across memory loss in the patient. In fact, this operation has been in performance for years now. Hundreds of people have undergone it, and not one has lost their memo –"

"If my successor is not recovered within a week’s time, I will personally dispose of you!"

"Y-Yes sir…"

I'm trembling. I can feel my entire body shake from fear, I’d… never been this scared before. What’s going on? I want to know who I am. I want to know what I'm afraid of. Please… Help me…

"Negawing," The armored clad figure walked back into the room.

"What is your name?" I asked him.

"Unknown." He replied. "I am the leader of the criminal underworld in this city. You are Negawing, my appointed successor?”

“Successor…?”

“Yes, you were chosen due to your cunning, abilities and potential.” Unknown told me.

"Is there… anyone else?" I know there's someone in those lost memories.

"Yes. You have a archrival by the name of Nega-Night, I believe you two are rivals.”

"No… that's not it." I mumbled. "Aren't there any others?"

"No. It's just us three." Unknown answered. "As well as the rest of criminals that served in our employment, unless you’re talking about something else.” He looked at me. “Right?”

"What about my family?" I asked.

"No. I’m afraid I know little of your personal life, except that you work for me." Unknown said.

"I see…"

"Come on. You need to rest. I'll show you to your bedroom." He walked out.

"…" I followed him.
"You want to know something funny? Even after everything you've done... I would have saved you." - Batman

"That actually is... pretty funny.""- Joker
(Batman to Joker before the latter's death in Arkham City video game, 2011)

Messages In This Thread