Create an account

Behind the Mask (Status: Completed)

((Author’s Note: This is it, the final official chapter of Behind the Mask, I had so much fun creating this story, but sadly all good things must come to an end eventually. Thanks for reading my story and Happy Halloween everyone! There are also two bonus chapters being planned, I’ll start working on them eventually. The next story will be "Tortured Soul" which will feature a alternate Posiwing as the main protagonist and how he became Dark-Eradicator))

Chapter Ten: Farewell
(Alternatively) "Epilogue"

I couldn't fight it, the monster was too strong. It got to the point where I couldn't even move… so all I did was lie there and try not to cry. I was so scared…

My fate has been sealed; the demon has won at the end. But I have my chin held up high when I’d knew I had made at least some sort of difference, I had thought it with everything I had in my possession, I didn’t backed down like I did years ago. Maybe God would forgive me for my sins since I tried to redeem myself.

But maybe I can see them all now. The demon had no friends… and no family that cared about it. I have all of that, I always did. I hope I get to see them again now… be where they are. I actually felt remorse for the demon that now inhabits my empty shell of a body, living in the life that I once had. Whatever its name was… I pity you. I know I was afraid before, but I don't need to be now. You don't scare me anymore, you can't. You don't have anything to scare me with… And you don't have anyone to watch you scare me. But you think you do. You think Unknown cares about you, but he doesn't. I know that now and I'm glad you killed me. I'm glad you took me away from him and sent me to be with everyone else: Posiwing, Gabriel and my mother and the rest of my friends and family.

I can finally let go of this life as a supervillain, a life I’d never wanted, and find peace in the afterlife, I only felt sadness since that one day people will not remember me as who I once was but the animal that I’d become. If only I had a little more time to redeem myself, but now I can find the peace I’d long since desire.

I'm just sorry I had to leave you behind all by yourself…

Goodbye,

Dustin Mallard

I looked into the full-length mirror to examine my marvelous reflection; I could not help but allow the wicked grin to crept across my beak, revealing my sharp canines. I adjusted the black fedora on my hat to what I felt like was a comfortable position. I peeled off the bandages from my body since they were no longer needed, the burns that I’d suffered from the explosion were now mostly gone. I’d felt like, despite the few very injuries I had left, that I am ready to continue my criminal career. Even a few days away from this city would have those knobs starting to question my disappearance, but I’ll show them I can’t be rid of that easily. I am Negawing Duck after all!

I plan to celebrate my recovery by blowing up the Third National Bank, but not before I rob it of its valuables. As I looked at my figure, I felt pride swelled up inside my chest, I could hear the fading voice of my weaker half from the back of his mind. I sneered in disgust.

Take your pity back, I don't want it.

Who does it think I am? I'm not a charity case, and I don't appreciate being treated like one. I don't care what that dimwitted Unknown thinks of me, I already know. And I don't care that my mother's dead, nor do I care that Skinner is dead too – why should I, I'm the one that killed him after all. The moron had ruined the golden depository heist and I’d grown tired of his constant whining, and simply shot him to the forehead right there and then. Served the little dolt right since he had outlived his usefulness to me, he may have been a friend to me once but that was a lifetime ago, I’m now a entirely different person, not the same neurotic duckling that I’d used to been. The only thing I care about is making sure this whole pathetic battle against those sappy heroes doesn't happen ever again.

Things will change now that I have my memories back, it'll go back to how I was before. There's a lot to be done in the physical world now that my head is sorted out. First of all, I need to finish off that do-gooder twin of mine, Posiwing. He's the reason all this happened in the first place and I'm going to make sure he gets what he deserves.
Tomorrow I shall hunt him down like the vermin he is, I even know exactly what his home address is since he happens to be my doppelganger from a different reality. He will live under the same identity that I had abandoned years, that little mistake of his will cost him his life, I should be fine by then.

And after I've killed that namby pamby goody two-shoes I should probably get started on regaining my position as Public Enemy #1, no doubt that Nega-Night had took my absence in the criminal world as his own advantage. I’ll show that knob who’s the true main threat in this wretched city once I’ll burned it to the ground.

And once I’m done killing those two knobs I will take care of Ghost Hunter, and like Posiwimp I know his identity as well. They will never see their executions coming before its too late. I should possibly get rid of him first since he is a bigger threat then Posiwing, it would make things much less complicating and save me the energy if I’d attacked Ghost Hunter, or shall I say Takeshi, in his house at his most vulnerable state. Ha!

In any case there's one thing for certain, this is never happening again. What I absolutely hate more than anything is being confused, and Unknown must think by now that I'm a complete lunatic. Well, I'll show him I'm not. Once all my enemies are dead and gone, I shall end his threat and take over his position as crime-lord for myself. And then I’d rule this blasted city with a iron wing like I’ve done before, only this time no meddling heroes will ruin it all! After all I will not be satisfied until I am numero uno in this hell-hole of a city.

I’d probably should get rid of Skinner’s own subordinates, Brawns and Brain, so they wouldn’t blunder my plans. They were always a pain in the neck, the reason why I’d left them live this long is due to their strength and heavy lifting, but it seemed like Skinner they have outlived their usefulness as well. I’ll add their names to my list too.

As I refueled my chainsaw there was one thought that had puzzled me, one thought that had strayed from the others.

Who – and in fact, what – was that… mirror demon anyway that had been plaguing my dreams since I was a kid? That’s one thing I’d never understood, it claimed it was me and yet it wasn’t at all. After all it was a innocent person with a good heart, which is something I don’t clearly have. Who in their right mind would pity me? Me of all people? And for such bizarre reasons. Family, friendship… none of which help you in any way at all and have no more than sentimental value, and I was never a very sentimental person.

So take back your pity, every single drop of it, whatever you were. It is not wanted here, and I would appreciate it if you didn't come back to bother me again, thank you. Oh yes, and my name isn't "monster”, or “creature” or even demon. After all I’m too irresistibly handsome to be some brainless abomination from hell. I'd say something along the lines of "see you soon" but I never want to see you again, so I think a simple "goodbye" will suffice for now.

Adieu, mirror demon. You don't scare me anymore – not that I ever thought you could defeat me anyway, of course.

Sincerely,

Public Enemy #1, Emperor Negawing Duck

I can't escape this hell
So many times I've tried
But I'm still caged inside
Somebody get me through this nightmare
I can't control myself

So what if you can see
The darkest side of me?
No one will ever change this animal I have become!
Help me believe it's not the real me
Somebody help me tame this animal
(This animal, This animal)

I can't escape myself
So many times I've lied
But there's still rage inside
Somebody get me through this nightmare
I can't control myself

So what if you can see
The darkest side of me?
Somebody help me tame this animal I have become

Somebody help me through this nightmare
I can't control myself
Somebody wake me from this nightmare
I can't escape this hell

This animal!
This animal
This animal
This animal
This animal!
This animal!
This animal!

So what if you can see
The darkest side of me?
Somebody help me tame this animal I have become

This animal I have become!

Animal I’ve become
-Three Days Grace

The End
"You want to know something funny? Even after everything you've done... I would have saved you." - Batman

"That actually is... pretty funny.""- Joker
(Batman to Joker before the latter's death in Arkham City video game, 2011)

Messages In This Thread