Create an account

My Untitled Darkwing Duck 'fic

So I decided to take a chance and post the first chapter of my intended DWD fic series starring my Mary S- Uh, I mean original character, Avaline. Originally posted here, for the record.

Constructive feedback is always welcome. :D And one day I need to come up with a title.

---

Quiet nights in Saint Canard happened more often than Darkwing Duck cared to admit. Sure, most nights in the city saw their share of mayhem: The bigger the city, the higher the volume of villains. It was an established fact any vigilante would attest to. Coincidently, it seemed the higher the volume of villains, the greater the chance they would be insane, or bent on world domination. Or both.

Still, the fact remained that some nights just didn’t see much action, regardless of how many sought to threaten the city normally. And much to Darkwing’s chagrin, tonight was one of those nights.

It wasn’t that he wished calamity on the city – Quite the opposite, in fact. Saint Canard was his city, after all, and he alone stood to defend it. Well, when that goof Gizmoduck wasn’t getting in the way, that is. It was just that he was, well... bored. Furthermore, how was he supposed to get his picture in the morning paper if there was no one around to witness what he did best? He and his loyal side-kick, Launchpad McQuack, had been patrolling for hours now; as much as he hated the thought, he was beginning to concede it just might be best for them to call it a night.

“Gee, it sure is cold tonight, isn’t it?” Launchpad said from the sidecar with a shiver, as if reading Darkwing’s mind, and further trying to convince him.

Darkwing sighed. It was cold, and it didn’t seem like things would be heating up that night, in any sense of the word. And it would be nice to see that Gosalyn actually got to bed at a decent time that night, instead of sneaking the late night zombie movies she thought he didn’t know about.

“I guess it’s time to cal it a night, eh LP?” he finally responded.

“Gee, I don’t know, DW. It doesn’t seem like much is happening tonight.”

“No. No, it doesn’t,” Darkwing let out another sigh. “Downtrodden, but never defeated, the daring Darkwing Duck dauntlessly heads home to heed plans for another night.”

“Hey, you mind stopping by Hamburger Hippo on the way back? I’m starving!”

“Honestly, Launchpad, could you be any louder when you eat? The citizens of Duckburg can probably hear you!”

“Sorry, DW,” Launchpad answered between bites. “I guess I didn’t realize how hungry I was!”

Darkwing mumbled something to himself that had a suspiciously mocking tone to it. As a stray bit of sauce landed on his bill, he shot Launchpad a glare, twisting on his stool to face the other direction.

That was when he heard it.

Over the sounds of Launchpad’s loud smacks came another sound of what seemed to be yelling. Curious, Darkwing glanced at his side-kick, who was too busy eating to notice anything, before following in the direction the voice was coming from. It wasn’t until he reached the rear side of the hamburger stand that he discovered the source.

Across the street stood a stout dodo, angrily bent over a young duckling girl no older than Darkwing Duck’s own daughter. He could tell from her body language she was used to such affronts from the avian, but even though she stood her ground fear shone in her eyes.

“What are you doing? Do you want us to be late?!”

The girl shook her head reluctantly.

“Then why are you dawdling?”

“I don’t want to go back there!”

The dodo lowered himself so that he was eye-level with her. “You know we don’t have a choice.”

She frowned, lowering her eyes to the ground.

“What?” he snapped. “What is it you want?”

“Ahem,” Darkwing interjected before the conversation could go any further. Deepening his voice to a tone he felt was more authoritative, he went on. “Is everything okay here?”

“Darkwing Duck!” the dodo snapped back to normal height, his demeanor suddenly nervous. Darkwing, who was thrilled just to be recognized, puffed his chest out in pride.

“Yes, everything’s fine here. Simply having a bit of a pep talk with my niece here. You know how kids are,” he laughed nervously, apparently expecting Darkwing to join in. When he did not, he continued.

“Yes, but everything is fine here. Isn’t that right, Avaline?” He looked down at the girl next to him, who had been quiet up until this point. Darkwing followed his gaze, locking eyes with her as she turned to face him.

Slowly, she nodded. “Yes, Mr. Darkwing. Everything is okay,” she said in a small voice.

“You see?” The dodo said before Darkwing had a chance to reply. “Everything is okay. Now if you’ll excuse us, we need to be going.”

They took off with a jolt, and Darkwing found himself watching as they drew further and further away. The dodo was moving so briskly he was practically dragging the girl behind; she could barely keep up. Darkwing was not convinced, despite their insistence to the contrary, that everything was okay. He could see it in the girl’s pleading eyes when he had looked into them. He was just making up his mind to follow them when Launchpad joined him.

“What’d I miss, DW?”

“Huh?” Darkwing was broken from his concentration. “Oh, oh I was just, uh, interviewing some of our city’s fine citizens.”

“Oh. Because I thought you were suspecting that dodo walking away with that little girl of being up to something.”

“Nevermind, LP. Let’s go home,” Darkwing said, glancing back in their direction a final time. He wanted to be home with his own daughter.

Messages In This Thread