All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Re: Ducktales #6: What might have been
    PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:27 am 
Dr. Doom

I agree, I think the surface has barely been scratched, not only for Darkwing Duck, but for all the Disney Afternoon characters.

-A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:37 am 
Young Mallard

BLESS YOU, AARON AND JAMES! Ok, reading this was like a HUGE breath of fresh air! Just... WOW. No comparison. It made much, much more sense, it actually had heart and humor to go with the action and tension, everybody was perfectly IC; overall, it just felt so much truer to the series. Worthy of Tad, indeed!

Thank you so much for sharing. It was a treat to see what could've- and should've- been... *sighs sadly*

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
Spread out, and remember- ducks is ducks, and cash is king!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:11 am 
Young Mallard

AaronSparrow wrote:
I agree, I think the surface has barely been scratched, not only for Darkwing Duck, but for all the Disney Afternoon characters.

-A

Amen to that!

Personally, instead of a dedicated book for each Disney Afternoon series, I would prefer an anthology book with several comics each month covering each of the main series (Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, Rescue Rangers and TaleSpin), so that every series would be given a fair chance, like the old "Disney Adventures" books (of course you Darkwing fans won't agree with me, but I'm not the only one angry at Boom/Disney for no TS book and fear the situation will repeat itself)
After all, the Disney Afternoon was exactly that, a collection of great series!

That said, I read what you posted and loved it better than Brill's, sure! :) What happened, why did they change it?

And, mmm...considering Tad Stones and your recents tweets...are the plans for a new book getting more and more concrete?

Please sign the PETITION FOR TALESPIN COMICS at :
Already more than 800 signatures!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:55 pm 
Young Mallard

Species: tortoise
Special abilities: longevity
Yessss, way better than what's in store (does that count as a pun?)! Negaduck is revealed way earlier, but the image of dozens of tiny Negaducks is too good. My favourite line was Launchpad: "You have a nice hat." :D :D Man, I hope, you'll be able to put your visions into an actual comic book.

Although between all the praise for you, I have to say, I would have sticked with Ian's version of the radio. At least, I laughed about the giant monsters being described as "bearing a striking resemblance to the nephews of Scrooge McDuck". ^_-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:05 pm 
Dr. Doom

Actually, my original draft had a line very similar (although I punched it up for comedy) but changed it when I realized James drew them looking like Chernobog, Maleficent (Dragon version) and Monstro.

Thanks for all the praise, guys, it really means a lot to us. I can't wait until tomorrow, to post the rest of what we wanted to do!

-A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:14 pm 
The Cute One

Special abilities: Extremely adorable, super intelligent, super ego
This take on things is definitely much better and makes a lot more sense.

My favorite things about this alternate version are the Plot-Radio (that made me lol) and the interaction between Darkwing and Gizmoduck that was in-character AND funny... :D... I love interaction between those two.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:06 pm 
Vigilante Extraordinare

Species: Pikachu
Special abilities: Green Thunder
AaronSparrow wrote:
Thanks for all the praise, guys, it really means a lot to us. I can't wait until tomorrow, to post the rest of what we wanted to do!

-A

What you wanted is what should have been official. yours has adventure, and good humor, not to mention it actually makes sense.

When I saw the preview where M'ma is just yelling at the slime and it goes away just.....doesn't make any sense. I could understand her yelling at a slimed-Gizmoduck would snap him out of it but, not work on the slime itself. Even knowing the slime's true ID. He'd never just let 'some old hag' tell him off like that.

Something else has been bugging me. I remember when there was talk about the funny randomness of Bushroot's pet, Spike appearing out of no where wanting Darkwing to play fetch. When I saw that, I was laughing cause it was funny. what bothers me is, Did Brill try to explain spike's appearance to fit his story? Where the main villain said something like, "Spike was my doing. I wanted to see if I could conjure up an image from your memory."

I thought Spike was meant to be a joke. You don't explain jokes for the simple fact that they lose their humor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:32 pm 
Young Mallard

Shade Hero Project-X wrote:

Something else has been bugging me. I remember when there was talk about the funny randomness of Bushroot's pet, Spike appearing out of no where wanting Darkwing to play fetch. When I saw that, I was laughing cause it was funny. what bothers me is, Did Brill try to explain spike's appearance to fit his story? Where the main villain said something like, "Spike was my doing. I wanted to see if I could conjure up an image from your memory."

I thought Spike was meant to be a joke. You don't explain jokes for the simple fact that they lose their humor.

I'm pretty sure, like the League of Barely Remembered Supervillains, Spike was just fabricated by Suffrage. Which, of course, completely craps all over Silvani's original joke.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:38 pm 
Vigilante Extraordinare

Species: Pikachu
Special abilities: Green Thunder
Darkwing79 wrote:
I'm pretty sure, like the League of Barely Remembered Supervillains, Spike was just fabricated by Suffrage. Which, of course, completely craps all over Silvani's original joke.

My point exactly.

Re: Ducktales #6 & Darkwing #18: What might have been
    PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:34 pm 
Dr. Doom

Spike was supposed to be a joke; Silvani drew it in and like a lot of purely visual gags that Silvani drew, Ian felt he needed to put his "mark" on it.

Anyway, read the two issues of the crossover tomorrow. Then read the breakdown of what James and I wanted to do with those two issues. I never took it to script stage, but I've attached the notes and breakdown I wrote based on my and James' discussion of how to make the finale work.

Bear in mind, I only got as far as this, the overview. Accordingly, it doesn't include a lot of the beats, dialogue, or comedic moments that the final, scripted version would have had, but I think the last sample gives you an idea of the way I would have written it.

Admin's note: This script does have potential spoilers for the actual DT #6 issue. If you don't want elements in DT #6 revealed, WAIT TO READ THIS AFTER YOU'VE READ THE COMIC.

DT #6

There’s a lot here that can’t be used. The very idea that the Phantom Blot is SECONDARY to any villain is not going to fly with fans; he can’t be duped or manipulated by Magica DeSpell. It can APPEAR that way, but ultimately he’s in control, he’d pulling the strings.

We’re backed into a few corners because of Ian’s scripts for the first two issues, and writing ourselves out of those isn’t going to be easy, but I still think that we can make it work.

As we know, in DW #17 M'ma's “yelling” makes the slime inert. Since the slime is essentially Negaduck (or nega-particles, whatever) negative reinforcement can’t be the catalyst that turns the slime positive. That just makes no sense. We can explain it with the laboratory scene in DT #6. In DT #6 there's experiments going on in the lab where they're trying to find the essence of the slime and find the antidote. Instead of M'ma's yelling, how about we discover that it’s her overall love is that counteracted the slime? We show Darkwing looking through Gyro’s microscope; he zooms in, and the nucleus of every atom of the slime is tiny Negaducks. They turn toward him, he does the big nervous gulp of fear. Then the microscope shatters; the sheer hatred that Negaduck has for Darkwing has made the slime act out! It knocks DW for a loop; Gosalyn rushes to protect him, Scrooge saves her from the angry slime. Gizmoduck makes a move and also gets swatted back. The slime rises up to destroy them all; M’ma expresses her love for Gizmoduck, and it recoils. Now knowing what it is, Darkwing knows what they have to do. Everyone…”let’s get touchy feely!” We cut to a whole sequence of everyone showing their love for each other (even Gizmoduck trying to hug DW, DW says "Ain't happening, pal"). The sequence ends with everyone singing "Can you feel the love tonight" (Great Disney egg drop) which positively charges the slime and the channels that energy into the devices that they will use to rescue the nephews and Honker.

Yes, this ruins Ian’s big reveal of Negaduck at the end, but the big third issue villain reveal is cliché and expected at this point; let’s put the emphasis elsewhere. Scrooge, DW and the gang battle the monsters, and use a Gyro gadget to return them to normal. I think we should devote more pages to the battle than Ian has; one page is not a payoff, it’s a cheat for a last issue cliffhanger that amounts to almost nothing. So we make it dramatic and meaningful. We can get the extra pages by cutting back on the “where is Fenton” mystery. We can keep the Magica kidnapping angle, but the sequence where the Gizmoduck suit magically projects her entire plan is awful, and another thing that makes no sense. Because his suit was infected with the slime, it can broadcast Magica’s master plan? That smacks of more magical “it does this because I can’t think of any other way to move the plot forward.” From there, we get a news broadcast that the villains and the Fearsome Four are moving toward the money bin… the police can’t stop them. Scrooge is determined to protect what’s his. Our heroes arrive at the money bin; it’s been invaded by villains! Glomgold, Rockerduck, The Fearsome Four…all possessed by the slime. The Blot gloats…everyone who hates Scrooge and Darkwing is assembled here, and the resulting negative energy has the slime is at maximum potency. The sky is dark, crackling with nega-particles…and the sky rips open. It’s a portal to the Negaverse, and inside…are Negaduck and Morgana! But why?

DW #18

Open on the roof of the Money Bin (where most of this issue takes place) Splash Page: Negaduck is back!

The Fearsome Four attack Negsy, led by Quackerjack! Negaduck defeats them, as he IS the slime…he drains it from the villains and regains his physical form. From here we have a moment between Darkwing and Morgana. Brief explanation that when split, Negaduck's spirit, or essence, was returned to the Negaverse where it is anchored. (After all, he's the most important person in it.) Morgana was spun through the dimensions after the battle with Duckthulhu, and was too weak to find DW...she tried to return to him but due to the negative energy released during her battle with Duckthulhu, found herself pulled to Negaduck instead. Magica sees her chance. She has the power to return DW’s lady love to physical form...but he must bring her Scrooge's Number One Dime! Darkwing agrees, he'd do anything to bring Morgana back. It looks like he and Scrooge are about to face off, but in a surprising move, Scrooge surrenders his dime, for he too knows what it's like to lose someone special. (Memory of Goldie, his one true love.) DW gives Magica the dime, and she restored Morgana. Negaduck makes a comment about how love makes you stupid. Magica has what she wants, she’s ready to bail on Blot…but Blot betrays Magica, takes the dime...it's special conductive properties are the final component he needs for...the machine! He unveils a harness that will increase the power of the slime and make him invincible, and inserts the coin in the chest piece. Explains that Negaduck IS the core of the slime, the nucleus...but his own genius has increased it hundredfold. The heroes rally, but Blot creates slime duplicates of them to battle. Scrooge battles the red jacketed version and the nephews battle black shirted versions of themselves (a-la the Barks' universe but it also might be funny to have the nephews first face off against the "Quack Pack” versions first and easily defat those weak knock offs). LP battles the skinnier version of himself (Duck Tales). Scrooge tells GIzmoduck to evacuate the rest of the kids from the roof. (Gosalyn manages to give him the slip) The Beagle Boys, villains, FF and the League Of Eve-il decide that they've had enough and beat a hasty retreat. (I wish we had room for everyone to get their due, but Ian has packed sixteen issues worth of villains into four.) Negaduck applauds the Blot..."Not bad. I mean, you're second-string compared to me, but I do admire your work." Blot responds "Then you're going to love this" and starts to absorb Negaduck! The Blot has planned this from the beginning, he's aligned all the pieces, and now, he will absorb Negaduck, the entire Negaverse, into himself, and become one with the slime. He will be unstoppable, and everyone, including that accursed rodent, will look upon him and tremble!

The slime is eating Duckburg whole. The city is in panic! Agent 44 arrives to help the citizens of Duckburg...it's Donald! He begins a comedic evacuation. After all, no one is more qualified...he's caused more evacuations of Duckburg than anyone! This is our chance to show all the ducks. I don’t like it, but it’s one of the things that is locked in and we have to use it.

The heroes have defeated their doubles, except Scrooge. He mentions his dime, and the double, just as greedy as him, helps retrieve it from the Blot's harness, then is destroyed by the Blot. The Blot explains he only needed the dime to start the process...the harness is already powered by the energy he's draining from the Negaverse, and accuses Negaduck of fighting him for control...that's why the double was able to break free of his will. Of course, says Negaduck. If anyone here is going to become a god, it's ME! The Blot and Negaduck battle atop a rising pedestal of slime as lightning crashes around them.

Morgana, having been restored by Magica, senses their battle will tear the Negaverse apart, perhaps the entire multiverse will unravel. Fate balances on the edge of a knife. Gizmoduck tries to take out the Blot but is easily defeated since the Blot has control of the slime that still is infecting the suit. This seems like the end…Darkwing looks at Gosalyn and Launchpad. "Not on my watch." He grapple guns to the top of the slime pedestal. After a visceral three way battle, particularly between Negsy and DW, Darkwing kicks Negaduck off. (Might be an opportunity for comedy here, maybe Negsy breaks out the ol’ rocket launcher and the kickback knocks him off the pedestal? We’ll discuss.) Darkwing and the Blot exchange words...the Blot is in front of the portal, absorbing the Negaverse. You can't win, blah blah blah. DW is holding on the the harness, trying to pull it apart with his bare hands. The Blot: "You fool, you'll kill us both!" We mirror the first arc with heroic banter about being willing to die for the ones you love. The harness explodes, a burnt and battered Darkwing is cast down. The Blot stands in front of the portal, but it's no longer being pulled into him, he's being pulled into it. His body is running like ink..."What is happening to meeeeeee?" and he is sucked in and disappears. The slime follows, and the portal closes, the Negaverse sealed, and perhaps even more negative than before.

The heroes have rushed to Darkwing’s side. Negaduck slinks into the shadows..."That looks like my exit cue." Sees Magica. "Hey, Magica baby...how about you get me out of here…y’know, for old times' sake?" Magica: Of course, dahlink...for old times.” and they disappear.

Cut to the good guys around our battered and burnt hero. We again mirror the first arc, bringing it full circle; only now, it’s Gosalyn that holds DW, tells him how much he means to her. Darkwing awakens, touching moment. Everyone cheers, handshake between Scrooge and DW, mutual admiration.

Final page. Magica's lair. She grouses about never using a partner again...too unstable. She again lost the dime...reveal of Negaduck trapped in a decorative container...but at least this time, she has a lovely new decoration for her mantle.

THE END…for now…

I think this gives us an epic conclusion. It’s cramped, but there’s not much we can do about that…unfortunately this is another arc where we’re trapped in framework built by someone else.

-A

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next